cyrus mailbox authentication changing from NIS to LDAP

Sunny ssn at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Sep 18 10:48:39 EDT 2015

Hi,

I've inherited a cyrus mail server and I'm currently learning how it's
setup and would like some advice changing from a NIS to LDAP authentication.

At the moment, the imap server uses NIS to authenticate ssh connections
and I believe to also authenticate users to their mailboxes

imapd.conf
sasl_pwcheck_method: *saslauthd*
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
MECH=*pam*

 From the above output I believe that cyrus will use the pam service to
lookup authentication information to authenticate a users cyrus mailbox.

I want the imap server to use LDAP (via sssd) for ssh authentication and
authenticating users to their mailboxes.

If I configure the mail server to use sssd (also stop NIS) and update
/etc/pam.d/system-auth with the required pam_sss.so entries, does anyone
know or have experience if this change will allow users to authenticate
to their mailboxes using LDAP?

Regards