Recent (probably MacOS) mail app provoking endless cyrus.index writes on 2.3 server. [WARNING: DKIM validation failed]

Matt Elson mailing_lists.cyrus_info at melson.fastmail.net
Fri Oct 23 19:38:56 EDT 2015

> So the exact text after the OK response doesn't matter, but it MUST
> be SP followed by at least 1 TEXT-CHAR.
>
> This is pretty easy to patch in 2.3.x if you're forced to remain
> there for reasons.  It is, of course, fixed in later versions.
>
> Bron.

I'm seeing this issue in my environment.. I think.  I'm only *fairly*
sure - I see clients that are identifying themselves as 10.11 causing
lots of entries showing up in the sync log and a whole lot of index
churning on.. usually smaller folders, luckily.  I've been trying to
track down a test machine to validate, but resources are quite limited
where I am.

But I'm a bit confused about the current working theory as to what's
causing Mail.app to go into its strange loop.

My Cyrus (RedHat provided 2.3.16-13.el6_6 with a very minor local patch)
responds to EXPUNGE with "<tag> OK COMPLETED" as near as I can tell..
which seems spec compliant if I understand the above.

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID
MUPDATE=mupdate://redacted.example.com/ AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=PLAIN
AUTH=LOGIN SASL-IR COMPRESS=DEFLATE] redacted.example.com Cyrus IMAP
Murder v2.3.16-Fedora-RPM-2.3.16-13.el6_6 server ready
A0001 login REDACTED PASSWORD
A0001 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID
MUPDATE=mupdate://redacted.example.com/ LOGINDISABLED AUTH=GSSAPI
AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN COMPRESS=DEFLATE ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA
MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN
MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE SCAN IDLE LISTEXT
LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE URLAUTH] User logged in
A0002 SELECT Trash
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
* 4560 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 1]
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1347582296]
* OK [UIDNEXT 6437]
* OK [NOMODSEQ] Sorry, modsequences have not been enabled on this mailbox
* OK [URLMECH INTERNAL]
A0002 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed
A0003 idle
+ idling
done
A0003 OK Completed
A0004 EXPUNGE
* 4560 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
A0004 OK Completed

In fact a 2.4.18 install I'm building (I'm using this issue as an excuse
to prioritize a long time coming upgrade) seems to respond to expunge in
the same way.

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE
MUPDATE=mupdate://redacted.example.com/ STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN
AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 SASL-IR] redacted.example.com Cyrus IMAP Murder
v2.4.18-Invoca-RPM-2.4.18-1.el7.centos server ready
A0001 login redacted redacted
A0001 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA
MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN
MULTIAPPEND BINARY CATENATE CONDSTORE SORT SORT=MODSEQ SORT=DISPLAY
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE WITHIN SCAN XLIST
URLAUTH X-NETSCAPE MUPDATE=mupdate://redacted.example.com/ LOGINDISABLED
COMPRESS=DEFLATE IDLE] User logged in
SESSIONID=<redacted.example.com-28519-1445641933-1>
A0002 SELECT Trash
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)] Ok
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1445555503] Ok
* OK [UIDNEXT 1] Ok
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 1] Ok
* OK [URLMECH INTERNAL] Ok
A0002 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed
A0003 idle
+ idling
done
A0003 OK Completed
A0004 EXPUNGE
A0004 OK Completed

(And fastmail's IMAP responds with a OK Completed, and I assume it
represents the most up to date Cyrus :P)

Am I misunderstanding the theoretical issue?  My IMAP-fu is a little
rusty these days and I'm a bit bleary eyed so apologies in advance if
I'm missing something obvious - I'm just testing by typing the commands
in raw since imaptest is panicking on me and I've not had time to sort
that out (though my Thunderbird debug log also shows an OK Completed as
a repsonse).

It does seem from one of the trace logs from the Apple discussion that
there is a version of Cyrus that responds with just OK, but.. it's not
all 2.3.x 's at the very least :P.

Sorry again if this noise and thanks in advance for any clarification
someone can give.

Matt