Recent (probably MacOS) mail app provoking endless cyrus.index writes on 2.3 server.

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Fri Oct 23 16:59:08 EDT 2015

On Tue, October 13, 2015 3:26 pm, ktm at rice.edu wrote:

> The El Capitan Mac Mail was recently released. It definitely has a problem.
> We saw our typical sync log size go from 10k when busy to 100k+. We are going
> to recommend that people wait to upgrade to that release until the problem is
> addressed.
>
> Regards,
> Ken

Earlier today I used DTrace to capture I/O operations on our Solaris 10 mail
server.
The imapd processes hammered by those El Capitan Mail.app clients perform
roughly 500 (five hundred) cyrus.index + cyrus.cache rewrites per second.
Multiply by the number of affected users, now numbering beyond one hundred.
Cool.

Eric.