single instance message store problem.

John McMonagle johnm at advocap.org
Fri May 29 22:09:21 EDT 2015

On Friday, May 29, 2015 04:19:42 PM Ken Murchison wrote:
> On 05/29/2015 03:19 PM, John McMonagle wrote:

> > > John,
> > >
> > > At the risk of sounding insulting, have you checked the link count (via
> > >
> > > 'ls -l') on these duplicate copies? For example, here I have part of my
> > >
> > > Inbox:
> > >

> > > -rw------- 1 cyrus cyrus 5821 2013-07-09 12:26 17201.
> > >
> > > -rw------- 6 cyrus cyrus 36816 2013-07-09 14:22 17202.
> > >
> > > -rw------- 1 cyrus cyrus 17305 2013-07-09 14:43 17203.
> > >
> > > -rw------- 3 cyrus cyrus 44952 2013-07-09 14:53 17204.
> > >
> > > -rw------- 3 cyrus cyrus 44942 2013-07-09 14:56 17205.
> > >
> > > -rw------- 1 cyrus cyrus 1395 2013-07-09 15:00 17206.
> > >

> > > The 2nd, 4th & 5th messages have multiple hard-links (second column),
> > >
> > > which is how singleinstancestore does its thing.
> > >

> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > -nic
> >
> > No problem
> >
> > Yes I checked.
> >
> > -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 3919 May 29 10:35 145026.
> >
> > -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 87189663 May 29 12:34 cyrus.squat
> >
> > drwx------ 2 cyrus mail 204800 May 29 13:15 Sent
> >
> > -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 2116 May 29 13:15 145027.
> >
> > The 2 mails should have had links.
>
> Are the Message-IDs of both 145026 and 27 the same?  I doubt it given
> the 1k+ diff in size and the almost 3hr diff in delivery time.
>
> Also, are you sure that your MTA isn't breaking up the recipients into
> separate LMTP transactions?  lmtpd can/will only do single instance
> store for recipients that are part of the same transaction (MAIL FROM,
> RCPT TO, DATA sequence).  If the recipients are sent one at a time with
> duplicate DATA commands, there are treated as distinct messages.
>
> Finally, lmtpd can't do single instancestore for mailboxes on different
> filesystems, unless newer fs allow this now.

Did not mean they were the same message, just that they were mails sent to
more than one person that should have been linked.

It's not in production yet so need to create the emails.
I set up sub domain, mx record etc for testing.

Log has one email to johnm at nmail.advocap.org, mikeb at nmail.advocap.org and
jamesa at nmail.advocap.org
All I removed was a lot of imaps entries.

John