How to get every message (even a malformed one) onto Cyrus imapd?

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Fri May 29 03:11:23 EDT 2015

Quoting Vincent Fox <vbfox at ucdavis.edu>, Thu, 28 May 2015:

> On 05/28/2015 10:05 AM, Recursive wrote:
>> This means that these messages well-formed enough for GMX to accept
>> them, but are so malformed that cyrus lmtp / imapd rejects them.
> I can give an example of a related problem.
>
> We use sendmail as our MTA, delivering via LMTP to Cyrus.
> The LMTP delivery module on Sendmail defaults to allowing
> lines longer than specification.  Cyrus accepts them.

Strangely enough I hit this same problem yesterday.  While migrating a
mailbox from Cyrus to Exchange through imapsync, some messages where
not copied.  The reasons was also that the message had longer lines
than the RFC allows.

There is a setting in Exchange that limits the max length of a
command. (Or something like that) And the default value is 10240
bytes.  Increasing that helps somewhat, but messages can have longer
lines.

In my case I was helped by using the latest version of imapsync.  In
the options you can pass a command to run on every message that has
longer lines.  In this case by using 'reformime -r7' (maildrop package
on Debian), http://www.courier-mta.org/reformime.html)

I'm using here postfix that does lmtp delivery, so I'm surprised
postfix doesn't get around it.

Rudy

  Rudy Gevaert                             e-mail: Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
  Directie ICT, Afdeling Infrastructuur
  Groep Systemen                                      tel: +32 9 264 4750
  Universiteit Gent                                   fax: +32 9 264 4994
  Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be