How to get every message (even a malformed one) onto Cyrus imapd?

Niels Dettenbach nd at syndicat.com
Thu May 28 05:10:17 EDT 2015

Am Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2015, 10:33:32 schrieb Recursive:
> Now, I would like to know if there is any way to get _every_ message into
> cyrus via fetchmail, even if it is malformed.

hmm,
if a "kind of a message" is hardly violating any protocol standards, from some
point of level it ISN't a mail anymore. I did not recognized in the decade(s)
of using cyrus lmtp that cyrus did not accepted any "real" email. So it would
be nice to get any details about what type of records / data is "blocked" by
cyrus LMTP in your situation.

> There are several reasons why I want to do this, the most important ones
> being:
>
> - The log files grow very fast because the poll interval is short, and I
> have several dozens of these messages (mainly spam) in each of my external
> accounts.
Ok,
but this is usually part of "logging" at the first stage... ß)

> - For legal reasons (I am handling my professional email using this system),
> I must not lose any message which is sent to me, even if it is spam or it
> is malformed.
"Spam" is not "malformed" usually today - so this is another story. But an
email is an email, if it fit's ALL points of the protocol requirements (by
RFC) - if not you or any other mail system is not able to handle a message
really properly and correctly. For "legal reasons" you can use proper logging
here, proving what was done (and what not) on your mail systems side.

The very most of (professional) internet-connected email systems are not
accepting mails which are not fulfilling the basic standards even if they are
"able" to "reach" the MX from anywhere and/or have a proper Rcpt To - by very
good reasons (i.e. at least to avoid abusive usage of your MX by third
parties).

If you are willing to accept even stuff which is not fulfilling the basic
requirements you have to make shure that the stuff is converted to any real
mail so that serviecs or sofwtare afterwards is able to handle it as real
email. If it is true that any kind of headers are not accepted - just let
rewrite (and for "legal reasons" may be log that) it.

cheerioh,

Niels.

 Niels Dettenbach
 Syndicat IT & Internet