users filling up disk microsoft office outlook 2013 ?

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 04:17:25 EST 2015

On Thu, 5 Mar 2015, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hitting a strange issue.  A user had his mailbox grow (multiple
> GB) without him noticing.
>
> I can clean up with cyr_expire.
>
> Multiple messages are actually the same.  It seems that the client
> uploads the message and deletes it immediately.
>
> Yesterday it filled up a partition, so I couldn't enable telemetry on
> his mailbox to actually see what happened.
>
> The client is outlook 2013.
>
> Has anybody seen this issue before? I'm running 2.4.17

Yes, this is the same issue that I descriped in the attached message to
info-cyrus last April. At one point we were seeing numerous instances of
this every week, to the point that it was a potential denial of service
attack against our mail system. Dozens of separate cases.

Fortunately things seem to have settled down in the last 6 months.

Individual Outlook clients can be fixed using the procedure described at:

   http://www.ucs.cam.ac.uk/email/hints-and-tips/hermes/outlook-ost

The problem appears to be associated with virus scanner plugins to Outlook
(at least AVG and Kaspersky: it is possible others are also affected).
Applying the most recent patches to Outlook doesn't seem to help.

So far the only way that I have been able to reproduce the precise effect
including a tight spin of uploads and deletes was when I switched from one
AV plugin to another. One of the people affected who I contacted reported
that they had made a similar change directly before problems started.

A Google search on "Outlook 2013 IMAP bandwidth problems" strongly
suggested that the problem wasn't specific to our mail system, e.g:

http://ddkonline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/outlook-2013-bug-when-using-imap-beware.html

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at uis.cam.ac.uk
University of Cambridge,                 Phone: (01223) 334502
Information Services,                    Fax:   (01223) 334679
7 J J Thomson Avenue,
Cambridge UK.  CB3 0RB