Lock Folder and cyr_expire

Giuseppe Ravasio (LU) giuseppe_ravasio at modiano.com
Wed Mar 4 05:48:19 EST 2015

Hi,

recently I faced an outage for one of my IMAP server that runs out of
inodes.

We have about 500k growing (that aren't opened daily!) imap folders and
the 0k lock files are filling the inode table of the partition
containing the mboxname_lockpath

I was hoping that cleaning mboxname_lockpath on cyrus restart will solve
the issue but when cyr_expire job was started it created all the locks
filling the inode table.

Obiouvsly I will address the issue creating a specific filesystem for
the mboxname_lockpath with XFS (that allows me to keep the inode/space
ratio at maximum).

There is a clean workaround that I'm missing?

Anyway I think that would be useful to address this problem in some way
(I don't know the reason of thoose lock files, so I don't have any
ideas) or at least say in the Doc that mboxname_lockpath should be able
to contain as many 0k files as the number of folders, because in 24h it
will reach the top ( I think that 99% of cyrus users are running
cyr_expire )

Thanks
Giuseppe