Segmentation fault & core file.

jayesh.shinde jayesh.shinde at netcore.co.in
Fri Jun 19 01:57:40 EDT 2015

Thanks Bron / list  for your reply
I am using cyrus-imapd-2.4.17-6.el6.x86_64  , with ext4 file system .
Just now the  issue has been resolved ,  I found  corruption with inode  level and few emails.  Some email was converted to binary file.
Due to which  few mailboxes was corrupted .  Delivery or access of such mailbox was getting failed and Segmentation fault & core file was getting generated .
After  identifying such mailbox manually ,  i moved those to  other path and removed all cyrus.* files ,  recreated the new mailbox and moved that all non-corrupted  emails  and reconstruct the same. Its seem my issue is resolved for now . For  next 1/2 days will monitor the flow and after that will shift the data with new LUN .  I Will verify the badblocks and will re-format the LUN with new fresh filesystem.
Do you know what could be the reason for below scenario :--
I found one interesting point  with core.xxxx files , The sizing of such files with  du -sh & ls -lh was showing different .
While doing the same file "cp" or "rsync" it was showing me different size.   Also the inodes for "cp" file was less and inodes for "rsync" file was more.  With Google I learn that cp & du work differently .
I verified the same with another ext3 partition , but there sizing is showing proper.
My question is , whether its normal behavior or related corrupted inode or file system ?  In tune2fs -l , filesystem showing clean.
Below is for reference scenario.
[root at active ~]# rsync -av  /hacluster/varlib/imap/core.10236 /hacluster/san-testing/by-rsync/
[root at active ~]# cp -p   /hacluster/varlib/imap/core.10236 /hacluster/san-testing/by-cp/

[root at active ~]# ls -lh  /hacluster/san-testing/by-cp/core.10236  /hacluster/san-testing/by-rsync/core.10236
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail 1.3G Jun 16 08:19 /hacluster/san-testing/by-cp/core.10236
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail 1.3G Jun 16 08:19 /hacluster/san-testing/by-rsync/core.10236

[root at active ~]# du -sh   /hacluster/san-testing/by-cp/core.10236  /hacluster/san-testing/by-rsync/core.10236
3.3M    /hacluster/san-testing/by-cp/core.10236