User mail spool partitioning mystery

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jan 19 09:36:52 EST 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-16 at 14:57 -0600, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> I have a couple of existing cyrus 2.3.16 installs with this partitioning
> configuration in imapd.conf:
>    defaultpartition: default
>    partition-default: /home/cyrus/mail
> I create users using cyradm:  cm user.myuser
> and the user mail spool folder has this heirarchy:
>    mail
>        |---- user
>                |---- auser1
> I just assumed that this structure was built in to cyrus; however on my
> new 2.4.17 install the partition settings in imapd.conf are similar:
>    defaultpartition: default
>    partition-default: /srv/cyrus
>    unixhierarchysep: yes   <--- (now using this)
> however all newly created users (cyradm:  cm user/myuser) are dumped
> into a single folder:
>    cyrus
>        user
>          |---- myuser
> I simply can't find any difference in the configuration files that
> result in this discrepancy.  Was the [a-z] partitioning in the 2.3.16
> install baked in to the Debian cyrus package I used, say in cyradm?

The difference is directory hashing,  which apparently you had turned on
previously and how have disabled.

To get the old behavior I believe you want:

  fulldirhash: false
  hashimapspool: true

Perhaps the default values changed between these versions.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383