User mail spool partitioning mystery

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 16 15:57:43 EST 2015

I have a couple of existing cyrus 2.3.16 installs with this partitioning
configuration in imapd.conf:

   defaultpartition: default
   partition-default: /home/cyrus/mail

I create users using cyradm:  cm user.myuser

and the user mail spool folder has this heirarchy:

   mail

       |---- user
               |---- auser1
               |---- auser2
               |---- auser3
       |---- user
               |---- buser1
               |---- buser2
       stage.

I just assumed that this structure was built in to cyrus; however on my
new 2.4.17 install the partition settings in imapd.conf are similar:

   defaultpartition: default
   partition-default: /srv/cyrus
   unixhierarchysep: yes   <--- (now using this)

however all newly created users (cyradm:  cm user/myuser) are dumped
into a single folder:

   cyrus

       user
         |---- myuser
         |---- otheruser
         |---- thirduser

I simply can't find any difference in the configuration files that
result in this discrepancy.  Was the [a-z] partitioning in the 2.3.16
install baked in to the Debian cyrus package I used, say in cyradm?