Archiving old email?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Dec 26 12:22:40 EST 2015

I have some users whose mail folders are approaching 2GB in size.
Unfortunately they can't delete any of this mail, but that doesn't mean
that it needs to be lugged around, indexed, and copied to local mail
caches as part of a live mail system.  I find that the probability of
needing to look at mail more than 5 years old is roughly 0%/year.

I was going to ask if anyone had any ideas about archiving old mail, but
then noticed that cyrus 3.0 is going to support some kind of archiving
system:

   Archive support has arrived! Requires addition of an archive
partition. (See archive_* options in imapd.conf)

Can anyone elaborate on what this actually means?