Retrospective on this year in the Cyrus Project

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 22 03:03:16 EST 2015

For those of you not following FastMail's Advent calendar (shame on you, surely you don't have anything better to do), I posted this today:

https://blog.fastmail.com/2015/12/22/the-year-of-the-cyrus-foundation/

For all that we haven't done another beta release for ages (mainly because putting the changelog together is SO MUCH WORK because we're changing so much right now)

The project feels a little dead in this list, but there's actually heaps going on.  Robert S's JMAP changes are really exciting and recently landed on master.  Ken's added a dropbox style WebDAV storage backend, and is working on the latest changes coming out of CalConnect (Neil and I will also be attending the CalConnect conference in January.

I've also posted about another change recently:

https://blog.fastmail.com/2015/12/05/reverse-acls-making-imap-list-fast/

This deprecates foolstupidclients, disable_{user|shared}_namespace, imapmagicplus (kinda).  Basically all the hacks to make LIST fast on big servers are gone, because LIST doesn't need to scan all those mailboxes any more.

(though note: it doesn't have group ACL support yet)

And FastMail has tons of development plans.  As I say in the blog post - if you want a say in the direction of the project, then get involved - post on the list, join the #cyrus channel, even come to our meetings.  We're focusing on the features that FastMail want (and CMU with Ken's work) because we're the ones paying for the developer time, but we're also building for everyone, so your needs won't be ignored if we know what they are...

Merry Christmas!

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana