Trouble with Outlook 2013, especially with the upgrade from 12/8

André Schild andre at schild.ws
Fri Dec 11 09:28:36 EST 2015

Am 11.12.2015 um 14:18 schrieb Sebastian Hagedorn via Info-cyrus:
> Hi,
>
> we've always had more problems with users of Outlook than other
> clients, but in recent days they have become much graver. A number of
> users have lost mail in a way that we couldn't recover, even though we
> are using expunge_mode: delayed. There seems to be some correlation to
> this upgrade from Microsoft:
>
> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114349>
>
> However, details are vague. There seem to be two types of problems:
>
> 1. Folders aren't synched with the IMAP server. There seems to be no
> indication of that in the UI, but has the consequence that mail for
> that folder is stored locally on the PC only. When the upgrade above
> is installed, something resets, which has the result that the local
> copies are purged. Since there are no copies on the server, the mails
> are lost.
>
> 2. Folders are moved unexpectedly when you move or rename a folder.
> This is mentioned in the release notes above as a supposedly fixed
> bug. It certainly has happened prior to the upgrade, but it's less
> clear if the bug is really fixed. This is especially harmful if the
> folders are moved to the Trash.
>
> We were able to undelete some such folders, but according to at least
> one user (some) mail or folders inside those folders were lost. We can
> find no evidence of that in our logs.
>
> Has anybody else observed issues like these? We are running 2.4.18, FWIW.

Outlook and IMAP is just pain, it's not intended to work, otherwise who
would buy the exchange server?

1) We see this rather seldom, but sometimes mails come in after 2-10
hours, not even a "Fetch mail" helps

2) Definitively a major problem of Outlook 2013, working with IMAP
folders in copy/rename operations is random at best

André