Migrate from 2.2.13 to 2.4.17 disasters

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Aug 24 17:14:58 EDT 2015

upgrading  works best when the databases are the same.
If you end up having to destroy the databases and recreate information
using reconstruct then you lose information also.

Last migration I did I used imapsync but it was not a complex migration
so I was not that concerned about things like shared states.

Is it possible to dump all the context of a working cyrus install in a
database independent format so the it can be re-imported?

Over the years I have found lots of packages that have complex internal
states that cannot be dumped in an independent format.
The user is left limited upgrade options.

On 08/24/2015 04:49 PM, Giuseppe Ravasio (LU) wrote:
> I think that the key difference between using imapsync and upgrading
> cyrus is the amount of states that will be lost.
> I almost sure that with imapsync you cannot recreate:
>
> 1. Subscribed folders
> 2. Seen states for shared folders (also for INBOX if imapsync isn't used
> properly)
> 3. Shared seen states
> 4. Email flags (also for INBOX if imapsync isn't used properly)
> 5. Custom permissions
>
> Therefore I think that imapsync is not the best choice for corporate
> email servers or big installations.
>
> Giuseppe
>
> On 08/24/2015 01:44 PM, bshaw at vsvinc.com wrote:
>>   Apologizes for the thread diversion here but I've been seeing a lot of
>> discussion about using imapsync to migrate servers.  From what I have
>> read in the documentation, you must have each user's password.  How is
>> this possible in a business environment where you can't have (or
>> shouldn't have) that information because of legal/privacy/ethical
>> reasons?  Is there something I'm missing in the docs?
>>
>> Brian

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||