Migrate from 2.2.13 to 2.4.17 disasters

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 23 18:18:05 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 02:17, Stefan Suurmeijer wrote:
> Hi Bron,
>
> thanks for responding
>
> On 23-08-15 12:10, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > And of course change them to skiplist as well :)
>
> Ok, did that and deleted the files in db.backup1 and db.backup2 as well,
> also old berkeley stuff, and I figure deleting a backup is allright (if
> you still have the files on the original server ;-) )
> Everything else seems to be skiplist already.
> What do you mean change them to skiplist? Do I need to re-create the
> files in skiplist format? (If so, how?) Or does Cyrus create them
> automatically if they don't exist?

Just so long as nothing mentions berkeley or is left to defaults of
berkeley in the imapd.conf, it's probably fine.  Actually, now that
you've removed all the old cruft, it will probably keep working fine
even if you do leave things as berkeley.

> > That or just log in with the raw username rather than domain.  That's
> > for virtdomains: userid, I don't have a clue for the non-userid version.
> > This _might_ be a regression from 2.3 to 2.4.
>
> I figured this one out in the meantime: on the old server, for the
> default domain I just added users without a domain to saslsb. That
> doesn't seem to work anymore.
> Once I added the fully qualified users to sasldb I could login with the
> default domain as well. Problem solved

Ahh.  Excellent.

> > If you follow the steps above to kill the BDB environment (again, with Cyrus
> > entirely stopped) you should be OK.
>
> Ok. Do I need to run a reconstruct before starting? Since it did al
> those index upgrades? I'm leaning toward yes, but would love to hear
> from you ;-)

No, you won't need to run it again.  The reconstructs have run once already,
so the indexes are already upgraded.

It's a good idea to run it so that it upgrades all the indexes one at a time -
otherwise they will be upgraded the first time that each mailbox gets opened.
(in 2.4 at least - in 2.5 and later, you have to manually upgrade the indexes
to avoid the IO storm of having it all happen at once)

> Have resolved to look closer into Cyrus anyway. The old server has run
> without any trouble for over 3 years, makes one lazy ;-). Good software
> though I guess

It's always nice when things just work!

Cheers,

Bron.