too much logging

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Apr 29 14:24:18 EDT 2015

On 04/29/15 18:35 +0200, hw wrote:

>Am 29.04.2015 um 18:15 schrieb Dan White:
>
>>>Does this mean that before 2.5.1, the database is being opened and
>>>closed all the time, yielding a log message?
>>
>>Correct. But that was an error produced if the user_deny.db file didn't
>>exist, and ended up flooding syslog. That's a different syslog entry from
>>what you're seeing.
>>
>>You might have to modify your syslog config to get rid of them:
>>
>>http://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.5.1/install-configure.php
>
>That is precisely what I do not want to do.  There is no point in
>generating useless log messages, and it should be possible to turn
>these messages off.
>
>They are usually somewhat harmless, though.  When there are thousands
>or millions of them generated, it might indicate that there is some
>issue that needs to be fixed.  Not all imaps processes create so many
>messages.  In this sense, the messages are not useless.
>
>But what might cause so many of these messages to be generated within
>a short time, all day long?

user_deny is used to selectively deny access to services for certain users.
It's called within the main cmdloop within the imapd code, among other
places (pop3, nntpd, lmtpd, and httpd). Each imapd connection could result
in many syslog entries depending on what activity the client is performing.

The syslog entry is generated with this code:

    if (!denydb) denydb_open(/*create*/0);
    if (!denydb) return 0;

    memset(&tok, 0, sizeof(tok));

    /* fetch entry for user */
    syslog(LOG_DEBUG, "fetching user_deny.db entry for '%s'", user);

If cyrusdb_open cannot successfully open or create the entry (such as a
permissions error), then that would effectively stop the syslog entries
from being generated.

So, setting a bogus value for 'userdeny_db' and/or 'userdeny_db_path'
should do what you want in a round about way. That's assuming you're not
actually using userdeny of course.

--
Dan White