Some cyrus-sasl questions

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 29 18:44:07 EDT 2014

Hi -

I've been setting up some new servers and wanted to revisit and optimize
my cyrus-sasl configuration.  I couldn't find answers to these questions
anywhere in the documentation or online, but figured this list would
know.  Ironically, the postfix documentation for using sasl
(http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html) appears to be more complete
than anything I could find on the cyrus source site.

1. Postfix suggests that I can put the SASL configuration file in
/etc/sasl2 instead of /usr/lib/sasl2, but I couldn't find this anywhere
in the official  cyrus-sasl documentation.  User configurable options
always need to go in /etc, not /usr/lib, so I just want to confirm that
2.1.26 will look for the configuration file in /etc/sasl2

2. I can't find any hints about what an optimal PAM configuration file
is if you only want to authenticate users through PAM with valid
accounts.  Currently the /etc/pam.d/imap file is basically set up as

    auth      required  pam_unix.so
    account   required  pam_unix.so

(Debian/Ubuntu add other junk via default common authentication groups
which must be superfluous).  I don't understand why the account
management group is needed for imap authentication.  Is it just there
because there's no documentation on how to do this properly, so people
are guessing?

3. Both cyrus and postfix use SASL.  In the past, I've run postfix in a
chroot jail, so it had it own saslauthd daemon process.  Since chroot
jails don't add much security, I'm jettisoning that, but presumably
cyrus and postfix will happily use the same saslauthd daemon process?
Postfix requires a sasl configuration file, but I just noticed that my
cyrus 2.3.16 install doesn't seem to have one.  Is this compile time
default or am I just overlooking where the configuration file?  Or does
cyrus use the SASL libraries directly, in which case I'm not sure how it
knows to use pam.  Is there any documentation on this?