Cyrus 2.5, xapian, Sphinx and index sizes

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Sep 23 04:58:53 EDT 2014

Hi,

as I mentioned a few days ago, we're considering metapartions on SSD drives
in order to optimize IMAP search performance. We have yet to run a full
analysis on how much storage that would require, but a first guesstimate
points towards about 20% of the net mail data for all the cyrus.* files
when using SQUAT.

Bron mentioned support for xapian in 2.5, so I took a look at the branch
and noticed that there isn't only support for xapian, but actually a choice
of SQUAT, xapian and Sphinx. Eventually I'd like to learn the pros and cons
of the various choices, but right now I have mainly one concern:

Will index files be larger with xapian or Sphinx? Will they also be stored
on the metapartions? My concern is that we might run out of space on those
metapartitions if we choose a different indexer ... what's the operational
experience regarding that at Fastmail?

Thanks
Sebastian
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.