Cyrus-imapd can't find my mail

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Sep 15 06:27:30 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-12 at 14:03 -0700, John Oliver wrote:
> I'm pretty certain this is because it just doesn't know where to look,
> but I'm not sure how to tell it :-(
> I was using http://www.linuxmail.info/postfix-dovecot-ldap-centos-5/ as
> a guide, but needed to switch to cyrus-imapd  I think cyrus doesn't know
> how to look in /var/vmail/ as the vmail user.

"cyrus doesn't know how to look in /var/vmail/ as the vmail user"

Neither does a dolphin know how to fly; that documentation is not about
Cyrus.

Try reconstructing the mailbox after you put message files back.

  sudo -u cyrus  /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/reconstruct -r -k -f user.fred

Paths may vary based upon distribution and packages.

Use the Cyrus documentation available @
<http://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/> and/or take a look at the Cyrus
chapter in my `book` @
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/coils/files/WMOGAG.pdf/download>

Comments on documentation are appreciated.  Writing documentation is
hard - feedback helps; sometimes if you understand something your
explanation has holes only the less advanced reader can point out.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383