POLL: per-domain shared folder/sieve/etc

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:23:42 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Yeah, I'm afraid so.
>
> It's going to kind of suck for FastMail customers as much as anyone
> actually - since that's what we use!  But here's the thing:
>
> a) it will be possible to switch to the netnews way if you want
> b) but if you have virtdomains AND netnews separator, then that will mean
> that you need to switch.  Hopefully most clients will cope - I haven't
> tested it.
>
> If you DON'T have virtdomains, or the users are all in the default domain,
> then it will keep working just the same.  I guess we could have a config
> option "strip domain if same" or something, and get the same display as
> what we have now despite the different representation internally.  The only
> thing is, you _could_ share with users in other domains if you wanted.

Since everything is in one domain on our system, it sounds like you are
saying we can stay with what we have. I'm wondering though how difficult it
would be to change to unixheirarchysep method. Does this simply change the
way that the server presents the mailbox information to the client, and,
thus, require changes to the cyrus database files or does it actually
require changes to how the files/directories are stored on the disk? If
it's just the cyrus database, is this difficult to convert? I'm guessing
there is as you would want to deploy this at Fastmail, right?

Steve