POLL: per-domain shared folder/sieve/etc

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:55:43 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> So Cyrus has three different types of domain split:
>
> * none at all
> * "on/yes" => weird reverse DNS hackery
> * userid => login with domain.
>
> As part of finally switching to unixheirarchysep: on (yay) and better key
> format (double yay) I want to change the overarching "split users into
> separate domains" logic we have right now.
>
> Yes, that means a massive change, instead of internally:
>
> example.com!user.foo.bar  <=> user/foo/bar at example.com (which is a
> million ways of bogus) we would have:
>
> user.foo at example^com.bar <=> user/foo at example.com/bar
>
> Or in alt namspace:
>
> Other Users/foo at example.com/bar
>
> This means we will finally be able to share things across domains.  It
> creates a single consistent way to access everything.
>
> ============
>
> The problem is, it means you can't set quotas per domain, you can't have
> sieve scripts per domain, and most of all - you can't have shared folders
> in a domain.
>
> example.com!shared.stuff worked fine, but
>
> shared.example^com.stuff would be weird.  It's just a folder, and wouldn't
> be treated specially in any way.  The domain would have no special meaning.
>
> This is all, obviously, Cyrus 3.0 stuff.  It's a significant change in how
> folder naming works.  It's really good for removing some inconsistencies
> though.  I just want to have an idea of whether it will mess up anyone's
> existing workflows - and if so how we can make sure you can still achieve a
> similar result, even if it doesn't look quite the same in the new world.

We only set quotas on individual mailboxes so that wouldn't be a problem.
We also don't have sieve scripts except per-mailbox, so ditto there.

I'm not quite clear though about the global sharing thing. Does this mean,
for example, that if one user wants to share a mailbox with another user,
its name has to be unique on the entire system? We would have users who
would want to only share with other users in their domain.

Since we support a single-realm Kerberos setup we only use usernames not
email address login. Does that make any difference here since there appears
to be an issue with the domain part?

Steve