hanging POP3 client, how to kill

Marcus Schopen lists at localguru.de
Thu Oct 23 05:18:28 EDT 2014

Hi,

from time to time I have hanging pop3 clients. I've activated telemetry
logging (thanks Bron) for that single user to see the interaction
between client and server. While downloading messages the client stops
suddenly (in middle of the body of a 6 MB big message) but the pop3
process is running for a long time. Interestingly if changing on client
side from pop3 to pop3s the same messages from the same account and from
the same network are downloaded without any problems. There is an
application firewall running on the router on client side, therefore I
think this firewall application is analyzing the stream, but can't do
that when using pop3s and that's why the messages are going through with
pop3s. I checked the same account with the same messages from another
networks and I myself don't have any problems with pop3 and pop3s.

Question for me now is how to kill these hanging pop3 processes
automatically? I didn't set poptimeout value so it should be 10 minutes
by default, but those processes are running for a longer time.

Ciao
Marcus