messages removed before expire

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:19:49 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 7:50 AM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> iOS is known for deleting messages from the Trash folder on its own behalf.
>
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 10:36 AM, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> >

> > > Oct  1 09:45:41 imap1 imap[7357]: Expunged 19 messages from
> user.ken.Trash
> >
> > The above shows *imap* doing an expunge. The imap client did this. Given
> > delayed expunge the messages would still be there on the filesystem after
> > this.
> >
> > The real expunge done by the expire job does not say "imap":
> >
> > Oct 17 05:16:28 salmon cyr_expire[11566]: Expunged 2 messages from
> user.xxx
> >

> > Joseph Brennan
> > Columbia University Information Technology

Thank you so much! This is a relief to know that Cyrus is not at fault here
as it wouldn't make sense that it works for everyone else, but not this
person. We just called the user again and asked if there was a phone or
tablet that he hadn't disclosed previously. Indeed there was an iPad that
he didn't consider important to mention that was set to delete after 7
days. I guess I need to be more thorough about checking all of the clients.

Steve