Strange load issue with 2.4.17

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Tue Oct 14 07:49:05 EDT 2014

Hello,

I'm not a Cyrus expert, but to my knowledge high %sys loads point to
CPU time spent in kernel space for doing things. One common reason
could be slow/overloaded I/O but this would be noticed at the %wait at
least as long as there is progress with I/O at all. So from my point
of view you either have a hardware problem where the kernel is doing
"busy wait" for things it should not have to wait, or you hit a kernel
bug somewhere. This would also be in line with your observation that
the system is non-responsive at all, while the number of processes,
the mempry usage and the %user is at normal or lower than expected.

Do you have any events in the kernel/system log or at the console at
the time problem starts?

Regards

Andreas