replication: sync_client on master stops after restarting the replica

Marcus Schopen lists at localguru.de
Fri Oct 10 08:31:56 EDT 2014

Hi Patrick,

Am Freitag, den 10.10.2014, 09:13 -0300 schrieb Patrick Boutilier:
> On 10/10/2014 09:09 AM, Marcus Schopen wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 27.09.2014, 10:59 +0200 schrieb Marcus Schopen:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> always when I have to reboot the replica or its cyrus the
> >> synchronization on master side stops, /var/lib/cyrus/sync/log fills up
> >> and I don't see a "/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/sync_client -r" process anymore.
> >>
> >> /var/log/mail.err on master when restarting replica:
> >>
> >> Sep 27 10:06:28 master cyrus/sync_client[1023]: Error in do_sync():
> >> bailing out! Bad protocol
> >> Sep 27 10:06:28 master cyrus/sync_client[1023]: Processing sync log
> >> file /var/lib/cyrus/sync/log-1023 failed: Bad protocol
> >>
> >> When I restart cyrus on master side, synchronization starts again.
> >>
> >> Is there another way to get synchronization working again?
> >
> > Andy ideas? For Backup reasons I'd like to stop and start cyrus on
> > replica side at night, which is a problem if synchronization stops on
> > master side and I have to restart cyrus on master to get synchronisation
> > working again. System is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with cyrus 2.4.12.
> >

> Should just have to start sync_client on master, not cyrus itself. That
> is what we do whenever the replica is rebooted/Cyrus stopped/etc..

Thanks for your answer. Okay, I understand. So this is not an unusual
behavior of my setup. When I check processes now I see a
"/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/sync_client -r" process running as user cyrus. So a
simple

  su - cyrus -c "/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/sync_client -r"

should start the sync again. Right?

May be monit could help. Otherwise the replica needs shell access via
ssh ... hmmm.

Ciao!