Enabling altnamespace and IMAP doesn't look different. Should it?

Eric K Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Sat Nov 1 15:11:37 EDT 2014

I recently upgraded my server from 2.2 to the
cyrus-imapd-2.4.17-caldav-beta10 release built from source.

One of the goals is to share "Notes" between various iDevices and this
requires a "Notes" folder at the root level, necessitating
"altnamespace=yes"

I had to convert my sieve scripts over (deleting INBOX. as it was
throwing errors), so I know at least part of the installation is using
the altnamespace.

What got me looking is when I use the managesieve plugin to Roundcube,
it creates new rules (that don't work) with folder names of "INBOX.xxx".
I dug around and nowhere in their source is there a namespace or root
setting, so I went back to the IMAP protocol.

With "altnamespace:yes", when I login and list folders, I get:

a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA
MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN
MULTIAPPEND BINARY CATENATE CONDSTORE ESEARCH SORT SORT=MODSEQ
SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE
LIST-EXTENDED WITHIN QRESYNC SCAN XLIST X-REPLICATION URLAUTH
URLAUTH=BINARY LOGINDISABLED COMPRESS=DEFLATE IDLE] User logged in >

a2 list "" *
* LIST (HasChildren) "." INBOX
* LIST (HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.0 Junk - Missed"
* LIST (HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.0 Junk - Wrong"

NAMESPACE is also identical between them.

* NAMESPACE (("INBOX." ".")) (("user." ".")) (("" "."))

Ditto for when I start it with altnamespace set to no.

>From other examples on Google, it would seem "INBOX." shouldn't be there
with it enabled.

That would explain why Roundcube generates the sieve rules with INBOX in
the folder names.

What am I missing? Did I forget to do something after I turned it on?

Really confused.

Thanks for any assistance!

EKG

Eric K Germann