undelete a single message, delete_mode + expunge_mode activated

Dennis Davis dennisdavis+info-cyrus at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 10 17:04:31 EDT 2014

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014, Marcus Schopen wrote:

> From: Marcus Schopen <lists at localguru.de>
> To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:31:17
> Subject: undelete a single message, delete_mode + expunge_mode activated
>
> I've just activated
>
>  delete_mode: delayed
>  expunge_mode: delayed
>
> on my cyrus 2.4.12.

> When deleting a single message from Inbox or a subfolder these
> message are not moved into a DELETED structure and keep staying
> at their originally place on filesystem. Those messages are
> definitely delete. I can't see them in my imap client anymore
> (tested with evolution and Thunderbird). How do I undelete these
> single messages?

Use the Cyrus "unexpunge" command mentioned on the page given below.
See the manual page for unexpunge for details.  It's basically:

unexpunge -l ...

to list the deleted messages and either:

unexpunge -a ...

to restore all deleted messages or:

unexpunge -u ...

to restore selected messages.

You probably also want to use the "-d" argument on any restored
messages.

--
Dennis Davis <dennisdavis at fastmail.fm>