Cyrus POP3 long line problem

Vincent Fox vbfox at ucdavis.edu
Sat Jun 14 02:40:30 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have recently noticed that certain malformed messages hang POP3 clients.
The pattern is that the mesages all have obscenely long last lines. I
can see it
when I set up debug log dir for the account, that the download of the
message
proceeds fine up until 2048th character and then stops.

At this point pop3d daemon goes to sleep and eventually exits.

IMAP has no problem with same message.

We are using a pretty ancient version of Cyrus here, v2.3.8 with a few
patches.

Anyone seen this before and can lend advice to fixes?  Management doesn't
want to throw manhours into updating Cyrus at this time unfortunately so any
quick fixes short of that would be welcome.

Thanks!