Using memcached for authentication

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Wed Jul 9 06:05:02 EDT 2014

Hello Ram and Cyrus-imap friends,

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 03:06:16PM +0530, Ram wrote:
> On 07/09/2014 02:49 PM, Willy Offermans wrote:
> >Hello Ram and Cyrus-imap friends,
> >

> >On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 01:32:50PM +0530, Ram wrote:
> >>Currently I use pam  with pam_mysql for authenticating cyrus accounts
> >>But I frequently run into the issue of mysql connections exceeding limit.
> >>
> >>Can  I simply use something like Memcached or Redis to authenticate users
> >>

> >You could also simply increase the connections limit in MySQL.
> I did .. I have now set it to unreasonable  limits.
> But I think that is not a good idea anyway.
>
> Most of these these webmail products they really jam the  imap
> servers with too many authentication requests
> I run cyrus-sasl with caching on  but still see too many connections
> going to mysql servers  , when actually they are not needed at all
>

> >I cannot
> >get to my notes at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that you find the needed
> >info somewhere on the net. duckduckgo is your friend as long as Google is
> >tracking your interests.

If this is the case, then one should look to these authentication requests
as well. If they are not necessary, then the amount of requests should be
drastically decreased.

As a matter of fact, our imap-server also requests a lot of
authentications. It will be about 200 times an hour per user. I noticed
this before and I never understood why, but it also never led to an unworkable
situation. So I did not spent much time on it.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Wiel