Backend reboot replication lost

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Fri Feb 28 05:36:01 EST 2014

Dear cyrus friends,

Once more my backend server was rebooted. I did not find any messages in my
logs nor did I receive any screen messages, that the replication was
stopped. I wonder what will happen in a production environment, when the
server reboots without my notice. Replication will fail and I will not be
able to guarantee full recovery. To my opinion this is unacceptable.

Best would be to incorporate a message system about failure in the
sync_client code.

I found some entries in the logs of the backend server about access of the
replication user: every 10 minutes the user logs on to the backend server.
Most probably to replicate the mails. I might use this behavior as a sign
of a working replication mechanism. It is only indirect, but it tells me
that there is at least some activity from the client to the backend. I
wonder why the user is logging on every 10 minutes. Does it mean that the
mails, received for the last 9 minutes or so, are not replicated?

I'm not very experience in coding, but I will try to dig into the
sync_client code and see how things are organised.

I restarted the replication by executing ``sync_client -r'' on the client.
I do not even know if this is the right step to take to reactivate
replication. Can someone confirm? I can see in the logs of the backend,
that the replication user logs on every 10 minutes again. I take that as a
positive sign, that ``sync_client -r'' restarts the replication, but I have
no clue about inconsistencies or other possible checks.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy