frequently corrupt tis_sessions.db files

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Wed Feb 26 03:27:57 EST 2014

Dear Steve and Cyrus friends,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:03:30AM -0800, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> I'm running a very small murder setup using Simon Matter's RPM packages on
> CentOS 6.x. Frequently, the tis_sessions.db file on the update master
> becomes corrupt such that one or more of the nodes can no longer establish
> a connection. Of course, this results in folders not reserved properly on
> the master and a long list of issues from there. Each time I see the
> behavior in the logs:
>
> tlsv1 alert decrypt error in SSL_accept() -> fail
> STARTTLS negotiation failed: imap1.xxx.xxx
> Connection reset by peer, closing connection
>
> Stopping cyrus-imapd, removing tls_sessions.db and then restarting
> cyrus-imapd always solves the problem. Is the tls database typically this
> unreliable (can't imagine why as it's the same db used for the mail,
> right?) and perhaps I should just not cache these connections or is there
> something else that could be wrong?
>
> Steve

> ----
> To Unsubscribe:

How do you know that tls_sessions.db is corrupt?

Is this really the right order:

1) tls_sessions.db becomes corrupt
2) > tlsv1 alert decrypt error in SSL_accept() -> fail
   > STARTTLS negotiation failed: imap1.xxx.xxx
   > Connection reset by peer, closing connection

To me, the one is independent of the other, meaning that a corrupted
tls_sessions.db is not related to STARTTLS and a STARTTLS negotiation
failed does not necessarily leads to a corrupted tls_sessions.db.

Maybe I'm missing crucial information. I hope someone can clarify this.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy