Ubuntu 13.10 | Cyrus 2.4 IMAPd | Specs Folders

Andrey ‪ andrew_dev at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 22 04:44:04 EST 2014

Hi everyone

For a testing propose I installed an e-mail server on Ubuntu. It cost me couple of days to choose satisfied software and understand basic principles.
I had in mind next requirements:
· The software have to come from recent Ubuntu repository (tested, easy to install/remove).
· Easy to configure and administer.
· Good and clear documentation.
· Good or great performance.
· Good or great Security.
· Future implementation of the exchange (MAPI).
After some research, mostly a sogo documentation I found some packets which in most cases satisfy my requirements:
· Postfix 2.10.2 as MTA
· Cyrus 2.4.16 as MDA
Choice of Postfix as MTA was quite easy, after reading two Wikipedia articles about most popular (so best documented) Postfix and Exim:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postfix_(software)#Performance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exim#Performance
In addition, I like how it is easy to configure a Postfix server and looks like postfix is a bit secure than Exim:
I wondered why Cyrus often would suggested as a better choice than Dovecot. Finally, I found a great analysis report, where Cyrus beats Dovecot:
http://www.delaat.net/rp/2012-2013/p54/report.pdf
In my virtualboxed Ubuntu server 13.10 I configured SMTP (25), Submission (587), IMAP (143), IMAPS (993). IMAPs recently turned off. I followed those tutorials:
Postfix (Amavis spamassasin clamav)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix
https://help.ubuntu.com/13.10/serverguide/postfix.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostfixAmavisNew
https://my.spamexperts.com/kb/40/MTA-examples-to-set-use-a-smarthost.html#heading_toc_j_4
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/smtp_auth_mailclients.html
Cyrus
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cyrus
http://www.opengroupware.org/en/users/docs/snippets/Configurations/CyrusAutocreate.html
https://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.16/man/imapd.conf.5.php
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/626345d6-fece-4ccc-9660-2d494c2d1a9e/outlook-2013-imap-server-folders-not-syncing?forum=outlook

However, I came across a problem. When I log in from Windows Live Mail Cyrus automatically create only Inbox folder and no xlist-* rfc 6154 special maps (SENT DRAFTS TRASH etc.). In older versions there was an autocreate patch:
http://code.uoa.gr/p/cyrus/autocreate/
There is no patch for 2.4.+.

Does someone know how to solve this problem?

Please see my final configuration files in attachment.

Thank you.

P.S.: I purged Cyrus and installed Dovecot. It is working as I expect, but I prefer to use a Cyrus (reasons above).