replication questions - best practice?

Marcus Schopen lists at localguru.de
Wed Feb 19 11:01:02 EST 2014

Hi,

some questions about master and replication:

I'm running a single standalone master and a replica slave. What is best
failover practice for this setup? How do I make a replication slave to
master if the standalone master is down? Just remove syncserver from
SERVICE section on slave and restart it (and update DNS record and
change certificates)?

If the former standalone master is up again how do I sync the slave,
which is temporary master now, fully back to the former master? Just put
a syncserver enty to SERVICES section on the former master and
syncclient to START section on the temporary master and restart both
server?

And how do I force a full sync back, just restart master and slave?

Is there there a good howto for replication, e.g. tuning, fixing common
problems? The howto on

http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.15/install-replication.php

works fine, but is very basic (in my case I had to add "sync_port:
csync" to imap.conf to get it working. Getting TLS to run between master
and slave took me two nights and two red wine bottles. ;)

What tools are best to check if master and replica are in full sync?
Just logfiles?

Last question: Is it a no go to connect with an imap client on the slave
to check if sync is working as long as the slave is not becoming master?

Cheers
Marcus