Empty folders

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed Dec 31 09:14:39 EST 2014

On 12/30/14 13:33, Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat.com) wrote:

>> Am 30.12.2014 um 11:24 schrieb Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it>:
>>
>> _ dm "user.A.B.D" (this won't delete anything);
> This is only for „deleting“ possibly existing but corrupt(ed) database entries.
>> _ stop imapd;
>> _ reconstruct -r -f user.A (this will discover the folders I just only formally deleted);
>> _ start imapd;
>> _ restore permissions for user.A*.
> hmm, OK,
> restarting should not be required afaik (but might be i’m wrong here) - but if it help’s you, OK.

Everything seems solved now; thanks for your time and help.

> Relevant Modules are i.e.:
>
> Cyrus::IMAP::Admin
> http://search.cpan.org/~eestabroo/IMAP-Admin-1.6.7/Admin.pm
> http://www.manpagez.com/man/3/Cyrus::IMAP::Admin/
>
> manpages and perldoc are typical doc and example resources too for any (installed) perl modules. There are many (very helpful) examples around which should be relatively easy to adopt for your needs, even if you are a perl „newcomer“.
>
> cyradm is the „alter ego of“ Cyrus::IMAP::Shell which is „just“ a „wrapper“ around that module:
> https://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.2.13p1/man/cyradm.1.php
>
> so it offers/does anything in the same way cyradm does, but object oriented and/or perled.
>
> some further examples:
> http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2011-April/034798.html
> http://doc.gabosh.net/howto_IMAP_POP3_Server.html

Thanks again; I'll look into them.

> The "major parts" are the mailbox list db (which is typically „outside“
 > the IMAP spool / filesystem) and the indices withIN the mailboxes and
 > both could be handled by proper tools even „around“ cyradm shell.

I know.
I'm familiar with the case where a mailbox/folder exists in the "mailbox
list db", but not in the file system (or the other way around).

What puzzled me is a "dual personality" behaviour WRT to the mailbox
list db.
As previously stated:
a) "ctl_mboxlist -v" showed "'user.A.B.D' has a directory
'/data/imap/user/A/B/D' but no DB entry";
b) yet "reconstruct -r f user.A" would not discover this folder as new
(until I did "dm" it);
c) "cm user.A.B.D" resulted in "createmailbox: Mailbox already exists".

b) and c) seem to agree, but isn't a) in plain contrast?

  bye
	av.