CalDAV?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 16 15:49:18 EST 2014

On 12/16/2014 12:16 PM, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Are you talking about public
> calendars, sharing a private calendar with a colleague, or both?

Our 2 primary use cases are this:

1. We have lots of people with busy schedules who have their
administrative assistant schedule and manage appointments for them.  In
this case we need to be able to have 2-3 people view/edit the same
calendar, which happens to be the primary private calendar for one of
these people.

2. There are various groups of users that have to identify compatible
meeting times.  Usually the way this goes down is that the biggest wig
(which also is typically the one with the busiest schedule) has his/her
assistant send out 3-5 potential meeting times and then everyone
responds with which of those times they can make.  This is a bit clunky
and laborious, it would be nice if the assistant could just have
compatible meeting times identified automatically based on what everyone
has on their calendar.

The third less common, but still critical shared calendar use is a
public or semi-public calendar which shows what times a conference room
or piece of expensive lab equipment has been reserved for use.
Typically wannabe users then email a particular administrator
responsible for keeping this calendar up to date in order to schedule
their own meeting or use of the equipment.