restore from cyrdump

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 16 06:43:58 EST 2014

On 12/16/2014 4:11 AM, Michael Menge wrote:
> We also don't use snapshots or stop cyrus for backup.
>
> But as a complete restore of our mail storage with normal backuptools
> would take fare too long, we uses cyrus sync for disaster recovery.
> For the normal backup we use a combination of delayed expung (14 days)
> and normal filesystem backup. In most cases where the mail is still
> in the filesystem and can be restored by unexpung, and in the rare
> cases where the mail has been expunged i have to run reconstruct anyway.

I haven't used reconstruct in such a long time that I've forgotten what
can't be reconstructed from the partition-default user mail files.

Quotas are maintained separately.  Suppose annotations.db and
mailboxes.db are both corrupted or inaccessible.  Does this mean the
seen status is gone?  What else?

Also, I was wrong about ctl_mboxlist -u.  While this might not be useful
for disaster recovery, there is nevertheless at least one use case; e.g.

done (cyr_dbtool) for each subscription database See
improved_mboxlist_sort.html.