idled vs. notifyd ?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 15 17:09:04 EST 2014

On 12/12/2014 05:00 PM, Robert Norris wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014, at 08:37 AM, Patrick Goetz wrote:
>> What calendar is it that is using notifyd like this?
> The notifyd described in that blog post is not the stock Cyrus notifyd,
> but our own custom daemon that speaks the notifyd protocol.
> Cheers,
> Rob N.

I recently found a pretty good, albeit very dated book on Cyrus IMAP:

     "The Book of IMAP" by Peer Heinlein and Peer Hartleben

It also includes general chapters on the IMAP protocol (useful) and
Courier IMAP (not so useful).

 From the description given in this book, it does appear that Cyrus
notifyd has limited utility.  Some of the information appears to be out
of date.

According to the book, if notifyd is running, the imapd.conf variables
sievenotifier and mailnotifier determine whether (and what kind of)
notifications you receive.

The imapd.conf man page for my version of Cyrus 2.4.17 does not include
a description of mailnotifier, so presumably this option has been dropped?

As far as I can tell, through sieve you can be notified either via
email, SMS or jabber/XMPP.  There is apparently no documentation for how
to send SMS/XMPP messages.  Setting the sievenotifier option allows you
to set a :method specification which overrides the default setting for
sieve scripts.  They give this example:

     require "notify";
     if header :contains "from" "boss at example.com" {
         notify :method "mailto" :options ["paul at example.com"]
                :message "The boss has sent a new email";
     }

I hope I got that right.  The SMS/XMPP thing could be useful if it were
documented.  I'm not sure I'm seeing the utility of the sievenotifier
setting (send an email to let you know an email has been sent?).

I still have no idea how the Fastmail notifyd works or how this is
integrated with calendar functionality.