backup rsync

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Aug 30 15:37:04 EDT 2014

On 8/30/2014 10:10 AM, Simon Matter wrote:

> I suggest -aH to preserve single instance storage in the backup.

Does cyrus use a lot of hard links?  I use rsync a lot to create
snapshot backups, and use hard links across snapshots to preserve space;
however, for a single instance backup and unless the filesystem includes
hard links (not normal), then the -H won't do much for you.

Of course one should always use -a.

The biggest concern I have about backing up mail spools is keeping the
index and message stores in sync while the backup is taking place.  A
long time ago someone suggested using cyrdump, but when I looked into
this, I couldn't find any documentation whatsoever.  Is cyrdump a real
thing, or did I imagine all this?