ctl_mboxlist dump/removal

Simon Beale simon at minos.org.uk
Fri Nov 8 07:12:13 EST 2013

I'm trying to plan a promote/demote of a backend and a replica, to
effectively swap them over in 2.4.13 cluster.

Given the hostnames are different, and we haven't got a magic dns record
to update, the list of mailboxes on the master needs to be changed. My
thinking of how to do this was to run this command on the master:

ctl_mboxlist -d -x -p '${BACKEND}!default

... which will lose the current mailboxes from the master, then run

ctl_mboxlist -m -a

on the new machine to report and import the new destinations.

However, running the dump command on the master gives:

user.testmbox2  1 dc201kvmuser-12816!default testmbox2     lrswipkxtecda
fatal error: Internal error: assertion failed: cyrusdb_skiplist.c: 645:
db->lock_status == UNLOCKED

It gives a similar response if I instead try running the same command
(after repairing the mailboxes list) on the backend.

Am I doing something wrong with the use of ctl_mboxlist here?

How do other people handle this switchover of backends/replicas for
disaster recovery purposes? In the absence of the '-x' options working,
I'm thinking it'll have to be a full master dump piped through sed and
reimported to replace references to the old server.

Thanks

Simon