ACLs and cross-namespace move problem

Thomas Cataldo tcataldo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 11:55:46 EDT 2013

https://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.17/overview.php#acladm

>  I think Archive should qualify as "user B always has rights on mailboxes
>> within the INBOX hierarchy, like the Archive folder".
>> When I look at the permissions with cyradm, I have :
>>
>> localhost> lam user/b at willow.vmw
>> b at willow.vmw lrswipkxtecda
>> admin0 lrswipkxtecda
>> a at willow.vmw lrswipkxtecd
>>
>> localhost> lam user/b/Archive at willow.vmw
>> admin0 lrswipkxtecda
>> a at willow.vmw lrswipkxtecda
>>

>> Do I mis-understand something or should I file a bug ? (I am using unix
>> hierarchy sep + altnamespace)
>>
> I think this has always been this way.
> If you create a subfolder it inherits the rights from the upper level and
> so you have the same right for INBOX and subfolders, as long as you do not
> change the rights. You can always revoke your own rights, I think.
> Moving/renaming a folder has always (as far I remember for 2.2. und 2.3)
>  been keeping the rights with the folder.
>

> Marc

The question is can we consider it a bug ? The same kind of problems
happens when an IMAP client deletes a folder inside a shared folder. It
renames the folder to move it to my trash and all the people that had read
permissions on the shared folder start seeing Other users/me/Trash/The
deleted folder in their imap clients.

Another related question would be, how do you guys deal with that ?