uppercase usernames

Joerg Maier joerg.maier at shove-it.de
Mon Mar 11 18:00:52 EDT 2013

Hi Julien,

Thanks for the hint!

My system is (now) Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. I found normalizeuid in the
docs, which I set to 0. Still with the same result.

I scanned the code a bit as well, I find such a patch in the Ubuntu
distribution patches
(cyrus-imapd-2.4.2-903-normalize-authorization-id.patch). If I
understand the code, it is initialized with 0, and only if set to 1 if
config says.

I think now, the best solution would be to install a debug version
somewhere and see which of the 68 tolower calls in the code performs my
unwanted tolower and why.

As I only have 20 mailboxes with UpperCase letters in them, and after
testing I found that a combination of "rename user/CamelCase
user/camelcase" plus "sam user/camelcase camelcase lrswipcda" plus some
account changing in the database will fix my issue,
- without any manual configuration steps for the users
- still the rcpt to:CamelCase mails will get to the renamed account

Thanks for all your help. I guess the next person who runs into this
and reads this thread needs to debug a bit or study the code investing
more time.

Joerg