ACLs and cross-namespace move problem

Thomas Cataldo tcataldo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 05:21:31 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have a problem with shared user mailboxes and permissions on cyrus 2.4.16.

User A has read/write access on user B ("lrswipkxte")

Folders looks like this for user A:

   INBOX
   Archive
      2012
   Other Users/ <== the user's namespace
        B (user B inbox)
            Sent
            Drafts
            Trash

User A wants to move the Archive folder to User B. He does a simple
drag&drop in thunderbird for his box to Other Users/B.

With its knowledge of permissions, thunderbird issues a RENAME :

RENAME Archive OtherUsers/B/Archive

Cyrus does not detect completely that the rename crosses a namespace
boundary. The Archive folder is at the right place on the filesystem :

/var/spool/cyrus/willow_vmw/domain/w/willow.vmw/b/user/b/Archive

But only A has permissions on it whereas the documentation states that:

"Note that some rights are available implicitly, for example 'anonymous'
always has 'p' on user INBOXes, and users always have rights on mailboxes
within their INBOX hierarchy."

I think Archive should qualify as "user B always has rights on mailboxes
within the INBOX hierarchy, like the Archive folder".
When I look at the permissions with cyradm, I have :

localhost> lam user/b at willow.vmw
b at willow.vmw lrswipkxtecda
admin0 lrswipkxtecda
a at willow.vmw lrswipkxtecd

localhost> lam user/b/Archive at willow.vmw
admin0 lrswipkxtecda
a at willow.vmw lrswipkxtecda

Do I mis-understand something or should I file a bug ? (I am using unix
hierarchy sep + altnamespace)

Regards,
Thomas.