Moving mailboxes in Cyrus Murder leaves mails behind on source server

Peter Bücker buecker at phil.hhu.de
Tue Jul 23 10:33:12 EDT 2013

Hi all,

We're having an issue with our Cyrus Murder environment when moving
mailboxes from one backend to another backend. Some mails are left
behind on the source server while we think they should be removed. We
issue the rename by using "cyradm" on the source server with the
following command:

oldserver> rename user.foo user.foo newserver!default

Cyrus completes the migration without any error messages, and all mails
are successfully copied to the new backend. However, some mails are left
behind in the spool directory of the old backend server. According to
<http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.17/install-murder.php> section
"Moving mailboxes between backends", seen state should be the only thing
left behind on the source server. The mailbox database is updated
correctly, e.g. the old backend now longer believes to own the affected
mailboxes.

It happens to be that only complete mailboxes are left behind. For
example, the whole INBOX might be left behind, and maybe also some
subfolders. But if a folder is left behind, it's always completely left
behind, not just partially.

Is this expected behavior or are we doing something wrong? Please note
that the affected user was logged in via IMAP during the migration.

All servers are running vanilla Cyrus 2.4.17 compiled from source,
running on Debian Squeeze or Debian Wheezy. All backend servers just
have one partition.

The backend configuration looks like this:

configdirectory: /var/lib/cyrus-imapd/imap
defaultpartition: default
partition-default: /var/spool/cyrus-imapd

admins: cyrus-admin cyrus-murder
allowallsubscribe: 1
expunge_mode: delayed
delete_mode: delayed