mailboxes.db discrepancies between mailbox and mupdate servers

Shawn Winnington-Ball swball at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 9 15:04:54 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with a Cyrus murder wherein the mupdate server
believes that a set of mailboxes are in mid-transfer, when in fact
they don't exist on any of the downstream mailbox servers.  Here's
an example of a lone entry gleaned from the output of `ctl_mboxlist
-d' run on the mupdate server:

user.foo	3 mailbox-03-internal!spool

If I login to mailbox-03 and use `cyradm' to create the mailbox
directory for user.foo, I get

createmailbox: unable to reserve mailbox on mupdate server

It seems that I need to get these sorts of entries removed from the
mupdate server's mailboxes.db file so that I can go about creating
the mailboxes afresh.

My question is how to do this?  Looking through this list's archives,
I see that the cyr_dbtool command can be used to query and manipulate
the mailboxes.db file itself, but someone mentioned that it's best
not to modify the mupdate server's mailboxes.db file directly.  In
my case, if I were to try running

cyr_dbtool /path/to/mailboxes.db skiplist delete 'user.foo'

on the mupdate server, would I be taking an unnecessary risk?  Are
there other means by which to force mailbox-03 to report a complete
and accurate list of its mailboxes to the mupdate server, thereby
overwriting those mailboxes.db entries marked `in-transit' ?

Thanks for any assistance,

Shawn