cyrus-imap configuration question

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Sat Jan 19 13:07:55 EST 2013

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, Charles Bradshaw wrote:

> I'm tying to configure cyrus-imap on a Fedora 17 system.
>
> cyrus-imapd version cyrus-imapd.i686 2.4.14-1.fc17
>
> I have sendmail and saslauthd working using DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5 working.
>
> I have gone through the cyrus-imap configuration procedure, but when I try to
> start the server:
>
> # systemctl start cyrus-imapd.service
> Job failed. See system journal and 'systemctl status' for details.
>
> # systemctl status cyrus-imapd.service
> cyrus-imapd.service - Cyrus-imapd IMAP/POP3 email server
> 	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/cyrus-imapd.service; disabled)
> 	  Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat, 19 Jan 2013 13:29:32 +0000;
> 28s ago
> 	 Process: 2049 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_systemd_helper start
> (code=exited, status=75)
> 	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cyrus-imapd.service
>
> If I start the master process manually or in debug mode:
> # /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-master -D              (or -d)
> fatal error: can't read mailboxes file
> ctl_cyrusdb: unable to archive environment
>
> At this point ps -A reports:
> cyrus-master
> imapd <defunct>
> imapd
> pop3 <defunct>
> pop3d
> lmtpd
>
> Top reports imapd & pop3d are sporning and are being zombied at a rate of
> about 1 second!  Surely this is not right?
>
> Looks like the deamons are crashing imediately!

What do you see in your syslog for Cyrus?  I assume you will see an error
message about unable to open mailboxes file.  We need to figure out where
the mailboxes file is located and whether the cyrus user owns it and has
the correct permissions on it.

To me, this sounds like a problem with an incorrectly created Cyrus
configuration directory and/or mail spool directory.

I'm not familiar with the Fedora Cyrus package, but maybe there is
something the package is supposed to do when it is installed?  If someone
else knows the Fedora package, hopefully they will speak up.

Either way, we can fix this!

 	Andy