Restrict access to a single client device

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Feb 1 06:09:12 EST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 14:31 +0530, Ram wrote:
> On 02/01/2013 01:20 AM, Dale J Chatham wrote:
> > You use SMTP authentication through postfix or sendmail.  Google [ mail
> > authentication relay   ] and you should find lots of howtos.
> > I'm setting it up to use a sasldb to authenticate external users in
> > order to keep them apart from UNIX users.  Be very certain that you use
> > STARTTLS or some form of authentication for email.  Also, if you're
> > allowing internet access to e-mail, you'll want to use imaps or https.
> The idea is that end users configure their email  on Desktop, Laptop ,
> Phone , tablet, Ipad ... ( The list is getting longer every day )

Yes.

> So copies of the mail are floating everywhere.
> This raises a security concern
> I cant block access totally from outside.
> Employees should be allowed access from outside office , but only from
> the designated Laptop.
> One way would be to ask everyone to VPN to the office for mails , Is
> there anyway else.

This really sounds like a solution for PKI.  Issue a certificate to the
device and demand that the device and the server *mutually* agree based
on that [currently the client device has to recognize the server's
certificate].  This means you (a) have to manage certificates and (b)
the client device / application has to be able to perform PKI.  I
believe (b) is true in most cases.

I'm currently also trying to figure this out.