Need guidelines on how to migrate a Cyrus-Imapd server

Thibault Le Meur Thibault.LeMeur at supelec.fr
Fri Feb 1 04:43:38 EST 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to migrate a Cyrus-Imapd serveur running on an old machine to
a new virtual machine environement and I'd like to have to guidelines on
how to proceed.

I've first thought about using the Cyrus-Imapd replication feature, but
the first import using sync_client was causing he target server to use
far more space on disk that the used space ont he original serveur. My
guess is that the hardlinks dedeuplication was not preserved during this
transfer. I don't know if this is due to the way I'v ran the tool or if
this is a limitation of sync_client itself. Can someone answer me on
this ? If sync_client is able to preserve hardlinks deduplication, what
would be the correct way to run it (I've not found the syntax expected
for the <client-list-file> in the command "sync_client -u -f
<client-list-files>" so I used a "for" loop and ran sync_client
indicidually on each user).

Then, I've tried the rsync solution (synching the mailbox directory and
config directory), but I'm switching to a 64bits OS so I'll have to
convert the databases and import them. Is it a recommended solution ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Thibault