IMAP proxy recommendations.

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Thu Dec 12 13:25:45 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 01:11:19PM -0500, sofkam wrote:
> I am in the process of replacing our Cyrus Front-End servers with a
> proxy server that can front both Exchange and Cyrus IMAP, as well as
> future IMAP hosts as we move and migrate users.  The two that stand out
> are:  Perdition, and NGinX.  I'm looking for recommendations, or
> experience with either, or additional suggestions to examine.
>
> Initially it will replace the old (and back-leveled) Cyrus Front-End
> servers in our murder aggregate, and I would like that process to be
> smooth and transparent.  But the proxy will then be switching back-ends
> based on Exchange vs Cyrus hosted IMAP  (Currently Exchange users are
> told to configure their clients with a different server, a practice we
> would like to discontinue.)  We will also be migrating users (usually
> from Cyrus to Exchange, but the other direction happens as well), and we
> would like this process to be as transparent as possible.   Finally, our
> Webmail server will also be using the proxy, so a proxy that maintains
> state-full connections would be a plus, but this takes second place to
> location transparency.
>
> Because of the need to host multiple back-ends based on account, I have
> not so far been considering imapproxy, even though this provides the
> state-full connections.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
>
> Thank You,
> Mike
>
> --
> Michael D. Sofka               sofkam at rpi.edu
> C&MT Sr. Systems Programmer,   Email, TeX, Epistemology
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.
> http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/

Hi Mike,

We started with the perdition IMAP proxy and while it worked well, its
process-based architecture resulted in a very heavy resource footprint --
a process per connection. When we upgraded our frontends we moved to
nginx as the IMAP proxy, and it had a much lower resource footprint, a
thread per connection, and better high load performance. We also use
imapproxy to provide a stateful connection for our webmail system to
our IMAP proxy. We can definitely recommend this setup. In fact, when
we moved our student to Google mail, the transition was made without
the need to reconfigure any end user clients and our webmail worked
as well. Please let me know if you have any questions about our use.

Regards,
Kenneth Marshall, PhD
--
Mgr./Middleware, Infrastructure & Development
ktm at rice.edu / 713-348-5294