IMAP proxy recommendations.

Vincent Fox vbfox at ucdavis.edu
Thu Dec 12 13:19:43 EST 2013

On 12/12/2013 10:11 AM, sofkam wrote:
> I am in the process of replacing our Cyrus Front-End servers with a
> proxy server that can front both Exchange and Cyrus IMAP, as well as
> future IMAP hosts as we move and migrate users.  The two that stand out
> are:  Perdition, and NGinX.  I'm looking for recommendations, or
> experience with either, or additional suggestions to examine.

We started out using Perdition, because we needed to move towards a unified
mail frontend and at the time we had UWash.   Exactly as you describe,
in 2005 we
still had users pointing to their particular backend hostname. Having
Perdition in front
also allowed us to gradually move user mailstores to Cyrus and it was
transparent
to the user.  We set Perdition to only offer a common list of
capabilities during
the initial phase.  Once were completely on Cyrus we filled out the
capabilities.

We use LDAP for referencing which backend the user is on.

We are still running Perdition and never got around to fiddling with Murder.

It "just works" and I have no complaints.